Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 2012 Relaxer Process

I know that I was already supposed to have my Relaxer Process posted, but I had an Organic Chemistry exam that I absolutely had to study for. Now that is out of the way I have a little time before I have to study for my final exam next week.

::Background::

Like I said earlier, I used a different technique to relax my hair. Since I started self relaxing in November 2011 I've been applying Silk Elements Mild Relaxer with a pliable squeeze bottle. The one I use is a color applicator bottle from Sally's Beauty Supply. I didn't use it this time because I left it at my mother's house thinking I would relax again when I went back.

The mild relaxer left my hair still very curly, which I liked but now wanted a straighter texlax look. Once my hair is completely texlax I may go back to a curlier version if I am unable to have a decent wash-and-go look, which is my goal for my texlaxed hair.


:: The Relaxing Process ::
NOTE: A photograph summery is posted at the end.

1. Section off hair:
I sectioned my hair into six sections.


2. Protect the length of your hair:
Putting a barrier between your hair and the excess relaxer will slow down the process of relaxing previously relaxed hair. Because you are minimizing overprocessing your hair it will help it remain stronger and have more elasticity.

In order to protect the length of my hair I detangled each section and applied Creme of Nature Lemongrass & Rosemary Leave-in Conditioner. For added protection I finely coated my hair with Petroleum Jelly, focusing on the ends. The ends of the hair are the oldest and weakest part of the hair, so they need as much protection from relaxer runoff as possible. Also I applied the petroleum to my hairline and ears.


3. Optional: Mix Relaxer and Oils/Conditioner:
In order to texlax their hair some people mix oils and conditioners into their relaxer to weaken the strength and allow them more time to apply and process the hair before it becomes completely bone straight.

I mixed 5 spoonfuls of Silk Elements Regular Relaxer, 7 spoonfuls of Silk Elements Mild Relaxer, and 3 spoonfuls of Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil.


4. Apply relaxer to hair:
I suggest first applying the relaxer to the coarsest area of hair. This will allow it to process longer so it can obtain a similar texture to the rest of the hair. Depending on how straight you want your edges will dictate when to apply the relaxer to the hairline. I wanted my edges straighter (almost bone straight basically) so I applied the relaxer to my edges right after applying the relaxer to the front sections of hair but before the back sections.

5. Smooth and Wait
After applying the relaxer throughout the hair smooth the roots if you want a straighter look. I use my fingers to smooth because I feel as though the comb would make it too straight. The entire relaxing process took me 25 minutes this time. This is a record for me!

6. Rinse and Neutralize
Rinse out the relaxer using warm/hot water. Some women like to apply a protein conditioner right before Neutralizing, but I didn't do that this time because I did a hair protein treatment the wash before and didn't want to have an overload. Neutralize with your favorite neutralizing shampoo. I used Silk Elements Megasilk Neutralizing Shampoo for my hair and Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo for my body. Because I jump into the shower to rinse and neutralize I use a neutralizing shampoo on my body to deactivate the relaxer runoff.

7. pH Balance (optional)
I then used French Perm Stabilizer Plus to balance out the pH of my hair. This product can also be used as a neutralizer, but prefer to use a neutralizing shampoo.

8. Deep Condition
Apply your favorite deep conditioner(s). I used a two step process. First I deep conditioned with a mixture of LeKair Cholesterol and Mane 'n Tail for a light protein. Then I deep conditioned with Ganier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner.

9. Drying
Apply leave-in conditioners, dry hair in whatever fashion you please, and style.

I used Garnier Fructis Daily Care conditioner as my leave in as well as ApHogee Keratin and Green Tea 
Restructurizer. I then used the scarf method and air dried my hair because I wasn't planning on straightening my hair.

Relaxer Steps, Texlax Steps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful to everyone.

Online Marketing
Add blog to our directory.